A vision for my life - Because what we focus on expands

Saturday, May 19, 2007

05/19/07: Off to Orlando

Hey Guys

Thanks for the comments...since I'm a bit short on time today I'll respond when I get home on Monday. Sorry Barb - I'm apparently two years too young for you :-p, but I'll see who I can find for you at the race.....

Well, I got one of my questions answered this morning...Did I taper long enough. The trick for long endurance events is to finish all of the long hard training 2-3 weeks before the event, so that you're body has time to recover and repair from the months of work and you're totally fresh on race day. It's definitely a matter of trusting the training plan and praying you get the timing right, so that your fitness peaks exactly on race day - part art/part science.

Most of this week a still felt a bit tired and my legs were not quite as springy as I would have liked. Fortunately I woke up this morning and felt absolutely fantastic. Two weeks of tapering seemed to be right on target.

I'm also thrilled that I slept well last night, since I'm not going to get too much tonight, knowing I have to be up by 3:30 tomorrow morning to be able to eat long enough before the race start. That's another interesting thing about doing an event like this. It's really 4 events: swim, bike run, and nutrition/hydration.

Woke up this morning, had my favorite breakfast juice (carrot, apple & ginger), and dropped Kramer off at Camp Bow Wow. Fortunately, he should be as tired as I am on Monday, since he's going to get to play all weekend :) Got the bike, wetsuit (which I probably won't need), and a whole bunch of other stuff (which I'll definitely need) in the car.

Off to Orlando....Check back on Monday

Andy

Live with purpose...Enjoy the Adventure

PS - If you want to play along at home, here's a link to athlete tracking: http://www.ironmanlive.com/events/ironman70.3/florida70.3?show=tracker&y=2007

No comments: